- Yield: 6-8 servings, makes about 8 cups
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 10 min
- Serving: 6-8
Best Hearty Meat Sauce With Ground Beef Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Two 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, coarsely crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- [For Serving:] Hot cooked pasta
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add the red pepper flakes and stir for about ( 15 seconds) .
- Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden brown ( From 10 to 15 minutes ).
- Stir in the garlic and cook until soft, for about ( 1 minute ) .
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook until brick red, about ( 1 minute ) .
- Add the crushed tomatoes with their juices, the sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and continue to simmer the sauce for about ( 15 minutes ), adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef, oregano, rosemary and thyme.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook the meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until it browns, for about ( 5 minutes ) .
- Stir the meat into the sauce and continue to simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and the flavors have blended, for about ( 1 hour ) .
- Add a splash of water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Stir the Parmesan into the sauce and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve over hot pasta with extra cheese for topping.